As parents, we constantly look for ways to ensure our children’s well-being, especially in their learning environments. Beyond just packing eco-friendly school supplies, there are several aspects to consider for maintaining a healthy school environment throughout the year. Here’s a starter list of key areas to focus on:
1. Safer School Pest and Weed Control
Embracing Integrated Pest Management (IPM)
IPM is a safer and cost-effective method for managing pests in schools. This approach emphasizes prevention and minimal pesticide use. Find out if your child’s school uses IPM; if not, encourage them to adopt this practice.
- Integrated Pest Management for Schools: A How-to Manual
- Safer Schools: Achieving a Healthy Learning Environment through Integrated Pest Management
2. Green Cleaning for Schools
Adopting Safer Cleaning Methods
Switching to green cleaning products can improve the health of the school environment. This change is not only beneficial for health but also cost-effective.
3. Breathe Easy at School
Improving Indoor Air Quality
With rising asthma rates, improving indoor air quality in schools is crucial. Proper ventilation and addressing indoor pollutants can make a significant difference.
- US Environmental Protection Agency Tools for Schools (TfS)
- School Indoor Air Quality Best Management Practices Manual
- National Asthma Education and Prevention Program
4. Eat Healthy at School
Ensuring Nutritious School Meals
A healthy diet is essential for children’s growth and learning. Whether it’s a packed lunch from home or school-provided meals, prioritize nutritious and safe food options.
- National Farm-to-School Program
- School Foods Tool Kit: A Guide to Improving School Foods and Beverages
Additional Resources for Related Topics:
Eco-curriculum and More
Stay updated with our site as we delve deeper into these topics, providing more comprehensive resources and guidance for a healthier, greener school environment for our children.